Hello all. It has been so nice to be back in the shop! We have been so pleased to see all our lovely customers in person again.
The sheer amount of amazing new books that have been coming into the shop has been exciting but I have to confess that I have been reading a book that is a little older ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo’ by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel Taylor Jenkins Reid
“It’s always been fascinating to me how things can be simultaneously true and false, how people can be good and bad all in one, how someone can love you in a way that is beautifully selfless while serving themselves ruthlessly.”
― Taylor Jenkins Reid
‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo’ is about a retired actress from the age of glitz and glamour of 1950’s Holly wood recounting her life for the first time. It is separated by the seven husbands she had throughout her career which she had to this point never spoke publicly about.
I honestly could not put this book down – and after recommending it to customers I have since had great feedback from them. The book is not what you expect, it is full of love, loss, deceit and it’s a true page turner. It is definitely one the best books I have read this year.
Evelyn is such a morally grey character – at moment you really want to dislike her but her recounting of her life story makes her endearing and mysterious. The chapters are short and keep you wanting more – As soon as a new Husband section of the book arrived I couldn’t help myself, I had to read at least the next chapter.
This is a perfect escapist book that will have you wanting to know more throughout and will not disappoint… A Perfect holiday read!
What I’m currently reading
Midnight Sun, Stephenie Meyer
Why Im No Longer Talking To White People Reni Eddo-Lodge
Grave Peril – The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher
Some of My Favourite Authors/Books
- Fantasy – Brandon Sanderson, Joe Aberchrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, J. R. R. Tolkien, Katherine Arden, Brent Weeks, Naomi Novik, Marie Brennan, and V. E. Scwab.
- Fiction – Anything with witches, Taylor Jenkins-Reid, Ali Smith, Bernadine Evaristo, and ‘Beyond the Sea’ Vaeronique Olmi.
- Young Adult – Bridgit Kemmerer, Joseph Delaney, Holly Black, ‘The Art of Being Normal’ Lisa Williamson, Sarah J Maas, S. Jae-Jones, Neal Schusterman, and Shelby Mahurin.
- Classics – Frankenstein, Dracula, Jane Eyre, Precious Bane, 1984, Crime and Punishment, Master and the Margarita, Handmaid’s Tale, Oryk and Crake, Jude the Obscure, Stoner, ‘Petey’ Ben Mikaelson, 12 Years a Slave, The History of Mary Prince, The Woman in White and The Moonstone.
- Non Fiction – Matt Haig, ‘I Fatty’ by Jenny Stahl, David Wiles, ‘The Five’ Hallie Rubenhold and Knitting books.
- Plays- Shakespeare,
- Graphic Novels/Manga – Saga, Maus, Alex and Ada, Fade Out, White Sand, Full Metal Alchemist, The Crow, and The Killing Joke.
- I love a Beauty and the Beast retelling